6 New Year’s Resolutions to Improve Your Clients’ Experience
As we wrap up another amazing year at NetDocuments, we thought we'd open up the blog to one of our friends in the financial services industry. Enjoy, and see you in 2013!
By Sheryl Rowling, CPA/PFS
CEO, Total Rebalance Expert®
I've written other articles about providing excellent client service. So, how can this article provide any new information? Whether the information is new or just a reminder, the New Year ushers in an opportunity to bring our practices to the next level!
Like any resolutions, the chances are great that they will be broken. You can guard against that by applying two strategies:
- Don't take on too much; just try for slight behavioral changes.
- Commit to each of these resolutions for at least 3 weeks. By creating a new habit, you will have an easier time maintaining it.
So, let's get to the "top six" list:
1. Return phone calls and emails the same day (or by the next morning for late afternoon messages).
2. Treat all clients as if they are your most important. Let this be your first thought any time you talk to or meet with a client.
3. Decide on one improvement to implement for your practice (for example, new software) and announce it to your employees. Get them to buy in and delegate responsibility to them. It will improve client service as well as morale.
4. Decide on one new "value-add" service to provide your clients. Announce it to them and do it! What can this be? Consider a newsletter, quarterly seminars or webinars, financial planning update meetings, or even a new section in your quarterly report letters. Have your employees participate and you've created a win-win situation.
5. Schedule one afternoon off for yourself each week. How will this help the client experience? You will be more relaxed and rested – which will help your ability to communicate and serve your clients.
6. Compliment your employees privately and publicly as you notice worthy performance. Studies have shown that employees want recognition at least as much as rising paychecks. A happier, more empowered team will result in happier, better served clients.
Finally, don't attempt to implement all of these resolutions at once! Try for one at a time; work on each for 3 weeks; then take on another. By committing to just these 6 resolutions, you will have more satisfied employees, more loyal clients and an afternoon off each week!
Sheryl L. Rowling is Chief Executive Officer of Total Rebalance Expert, a rebalancing software solution. A Certified Public Accountant, Personal Financial Specialist and Principal at Rowling & Associates, Sheryl has been providing investment, tax and financial planning advice since 1979.
Sheryl holds an MBA in Finance and a BS Accounting from San Diego State University. She is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (tax and financial planning divisions), the California Society of Certified Public Accountants, the National Association of Personal Financial Advisors, the All-Star Financial Group and the Association of CPA Financial Planners. Sheryl is also the author of the CCH publication Tax and Wealth Strategies for Family Businesses.
Sheryl L. Rowling has been named one of Worth Magazine's Top American Financial Advisors, one of Accounting Today's Top 100 Most Influential in Accounting and one of Wealth Manager magazine's Top 50 Women in Wealth Management.
Interested in moving to the cloud? Schedule a demo to see how NetDocuments will streamline your practice and compliance, as well as improve the client experience through technology.