A Path of Dependable Innovation in the 2021 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™
How to Choose a Cloud Storage Solution for a Law Firm
Legal documents are foundational to any law firm — but with thousands upon thousands of documents to store, managing them all can be a challenge.
Most law firms have made the transition away from extensive (and expensive) physical storage of paper documents. On-premises document management systems (DMS) allowed law firms to begin storing documents digitally, however, these systems are no longer able to keep up with the speed of modern business.
Now, there’s a much more powerful, efficient, and flexible option for law firms to store their documents securely: the cloud.
Cloud-based document management systems offer a superior storage option for digital files, while also providing a robust set of productivity and collaboration tools.
In this article, we’ll share some of the benefits of cloud storage as well as key features a law firm should consider when evaluating cloud storage options.
Benefits of Cloud Storage for Law Firms
The American Bar Association cites anytime/anywhere access, low cost of entry, predictable monthly expenses, and robust security as key factors pushing law firms to pursue cloud technology.
Cloud storage enables attorneys and other legal professionals to access files securely from anywhere and on any device — without the need for a notoriously-unreliable VPN connection. This provides users with greater flexibility, including the ability to work remotely or get things done outside normal working hours.
Cost Savings & Scalability
Compared with on-premises solutions, the setup and ongoing costs of cloud storage platforms is much less expensive. Typically, law firms will only pay one-time implementation costs plus predictable monthly user fees for cloud storage. In contrast, an on-premises storage solution will incur high costs for system set up, hardware, software licenses, maintenance, and more.
In a similar vein, scaling an on-premises system to expand your storage capacity can be difficult and costly. Cloud storage solutions, on the other hand, can easily scale to fit your firm’s needs.
Believe it or not, cloud storage solutions can actually be more secure than an on-premises system. Whereas on-premises systems rely on a law firm’s own IT resources, cloud providers have a strong incentive to commit extensive resources to securing their customers’ data.
This means stronger security built into the platform, quicker response to emerging threats, and more agile bug fixes. It also means that updates can be automatically pushed to customers without the need for system downtime.
If you are concerned about how to handle local information residency requirements with the cloud, don’t worry. Cloud-based solutions can offer geo-aware content storage to keep you compliant while still giving you access to all the benefits the cloud has to offer.
Storing documents in the cloud also makes it easy for attorneys to collaborate with colleagues and clients. Whereas on-premises systems may require you to export documents to a third-party storage solution or extranet in order to collaborate with external users, cloud-based storage makes it simple.
Be aware, however, that commercial cloud storage solutions such as Box or Google Drive are not designed to meet the stringent security requirements of legal work.
Cloud Storage Features for Law Firms
When your firm is evaluating potential cloud storage solutions — including cloud-based document management systems — there are a few things you should keep in mind.
- How will the solution enhance your security posture? Strong security is of paramount importance when choosing your law firm’s cloud storage platform. Your reputation depends on it.
- Can you control user access down to the document level? Ensure that you have granular control over which users can access which documents and folders. Make sure that the system you choose will keep confidential information protected from unauthorized eyes.
- Does the solution offer version control? Managing reviews and collaboration can quickly become a headache if multiple, conflicting document versions emerge. Choose a cloud storage option that helps you keep track of file versions, along with a complete version history.
- Is it integrated with your favorite work tools? You want to be able to move seamlessly between working on documents and keeping them stored. Your storage solution should integrate with the tools you use every day (including email) so you can streamline your productivity.Automatic sync between systems is preferred.
- Does it offer any additional tools to support collaboration? Collaboration is more than just passing documents back and forth. Look at solutions that can help you create workflows, communicate via real-time messaging, and more.
- Will the solution support any file type? Modern legal matters often involve many types of files beyond just documents, including images, audio, and video files. Make sure the solution you choose will allow you to save a variety of file types.
- Will your provider help you stay compliant with regional regulations? Check to see whether your provider offers the tools you need to stay up-to-date with the compliance regulations that govern your region, including any client data under your care.
How NetDocuments Can Help
NetDocuments is the preferred SaaS cloud storage solution for law firms. But what our platform offers is so much more than storage.
Our legal-centric document and email management system delivers the best in security while increasing your firm’s productivity with an array of tools and features to keep you organized, align your team, enhance collaboration, and much more.
Check out some employee quotes below!
"Great company, great products, great leadership, great people, great culture!"
"I love my team and peers. We are family, and we respect each other."
"NetDocuments encourages a good work/family balance."
"I feel respected and valued by leadership and my team."
"We work together and support/encourage each other to do our best work every day."
"From start to finish, my leaders are willing to guide me and let me try new things. This keeps work fresh, exciting, and fun so I don't burn out or get bored."
"I have clear direction in my work tasks and priorities. I also feel encouraged to put my family first and maintain a healthy work life balance."
"I work with highly motivated individuals who are smart and allow me to learn from them!"
"NetDocuments is committed to exceeding customer expectations by building leading products hosted in rock-solid environments."
"I'm empowered to try new things and think through processes and campaigns strategically. I can lean on my boss for support, but I'm not micromanaged, which is appreciated."